Smoothies. We all like smoothies. And the best thing about them is that you don't have to have a recipe to make a stellar smoothe - just throw a bunch of fruit you like in a blender and go! What makes this one just slightly different is that it uses whole, fresh cranberries.
A year or so ago I read about the cranberry orange combo in Oxygen magazine. It was outside of my regular smoothie go-to's - I thought, why not? I'm glad I went for it. The original recipe called for honey and protein powder. You can use those if you wish. I also like to add in some spinach, but that doesn't make for as pretty a picture. It makes the smoothie a little murky looking, but it doesn't alter the taste.
Oh! I almost forgot to mention that since fresh cranberries are generally on sale this time of year, you can scoop up a bunch and throw them in the freezer for future use :)
Whole Cranberry Orange Smoothie
- 3/4 cup (approx.) whole, fresh cranberries
- 2 medium oranges (or 1 large orange)
- 1 cup crushed ice (just a rough guess on this one)
- Agave to taste
- Peel oranges and remove seeds.
- Put oranges, cranberries and ice in the blender.
- Blendy, blendy, blendy until its smooth.
- If the smoothie is too tart for your taste, add some agave and repeat the blendy, blendy, blendy step.