Veggie and Pesto Stromboli

Saturday, November 6, 2010

***If you were directed here through Vegan MoFo, please click through to my site at www.LaVidaVeggie.com. The site and feed was available too late for the MoFo team to incorporate. The text during MoFo will be the same, but starting in December, I won't keep this site updated. Thanks, and happy MoFo-ing!***


Veggie and Pesto Stromboli

Instead of our usual Friday night pizza, I decided to play around with making stromboli. It didn't seem too difficult based on what I read, so why the heck not? Here's what I came up with.


Ingredients:
1 pre-made pizza dough (you can make your own if you are ambitious)
Pesto
Daiya mozzarella cheese
Cooked or sauteed spinach (remove as much water as possible)
Steamed broccoli
Sun-dried tomato Tofurky
Marinara sauce (for dipping)

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to pre-made dough specifications. (Mine said 425 degrees.)
  • Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Try to get it rectagle-ish. Mine came out more like an oval, which was fine because I could stretch it a bit in the folding process.
  • Spread pesto all over the dough. Go nuts.
  • Layer ingredients down the middle, lengthwise. (I did cheese first so I'd get a nice layer of cheesy goodness all together. I only used about 1/2 bag of Daiya and it was noticeably cheesy but not overpowering.)


  • Fold one side of the dough toward the center, covering the ingredients. Then fold the other side in. For extra measure, you can seal the dough on the fold line with a little water.
  • Carefully move the uncooked stromboli to a baking pan. (If I were clever, I would have thought to move the rolled out dough to the baking pan before even adding pesto. Then there would be no worries of carefully moving a stuffed stromboli. Oh well.)
  • Bake according to your pre-made dough specifications. (Mine said 15 mine). 
  • Stromboli will be ready when the crust is golden brown and stromboli  makes a  hallow sound when you tap it.
  • Serve with some warm marinara sauce on the side.
Note: I'm not sure what to say about letting the dough rise before using it. When I make pizza, I let my dough rise before I roll it out. In this case, the dough didn't rise much before I started getting impatient. Also, some recipes suggested stuffing the stromboli and then letting the dough rise. Regardless, what we had last night was pretty darn tasty for not being 100% on what I (or the dough) was doing!

Second note: sorry for the grainy pics. I didn't realize that the ISO on the camera was so high until we had eaten half the stromboli.

Third note: Mmmm...leftovers...


Veggie and Pesto Stromboli
Schmear pesto and add filling















Veggie and Pesto Stromboli
Fold in sides













Veggie and Pesto Stromboli
Bake until golden brown












Veggie and Pesto Stromboli
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Aubrey West @ Healthy Easy Recipes said...

Great and healthy recipe! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Karan Luthra said...

Thanks for writing something about Iso 4032 Nuts. Keep posting and i will bookmark your blog.

Post a Comment

All-Around Joy Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon BloggerTemplate Sponsored by: Premium Templates | Premium Wordpress Themes. Distributed by: Blogger Template