Ugly sushi still tastes great

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

***If you were directed here through Vegan MoFo, please click through to my site at www.LaVidaVeggie.com. The new site and feed was available too late for the MoFo team to incorporate. The text during MoFo will be the same, but starting in December, I won't keep this site updated. Thanks, and happy MoFo-ing!***

Sushi guts

Tonight I tried my hand at making sushi rolls. It wasn't a disaster, but it was no work of art. Note that I posted a photo of the sushi guts and not the finished rolls. How do the sushi chefs do it? Dang! I think I had more nori stuck to my fingers than actually holding the roll together. Sushi fail.

The important part of tonight's dinner was not the aesthetics of my rolls (veggie rolls, of course). It was the fun I had getting it all put together. I went to the Asian market and bought chopsticks, a rolling mat, nori and some wasabi; I carefully sliced all my veggies and made rice; and I rolled my little heart out. Bonus points for the hubs jumping in on the fun and trying to make a roll too. We worked really hard for those ugly little rolls and despite their looks, they were pretty tasty!

I recently read an article in Wired magazine about a scientific study that ties together the effort put into a meal and the enjoyment of eating it. It's called "Why Making Dinner is a Good Idea" and likens the effort of making dinner to that of assembling Ikea furniture. Sure, the final product might not be top notch, but you built it and therefore appreciate it so much more. So I guess my sushi fail was still satisfying because of the effort I put into it. The article goes on to suggest that overeating and obesity could be linked to not enjoying food in the same sense and thus a person eats more and more achieve that same satisfaction.

So, could today's lesson be cooking effort = food satisfaction = healthier people? Hmm. Who knew ugly sushi could lead to such insight?

1 comments:

Aubrey West @ Healthy Easy Recipes said...

I haven't taste any sushi yet. Not because I can't afford to buy one, but because I don't want it's taste. With the help of your ideas, sushi will taste better and hope to try it at home.

Post a Comment

All-Around Joy Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon BloggerTemplate Sponsored by: Premium Templates | Premium Wordpress Themes. Distributed by: Blogger Template