Slow Cooker Garlicky Lentil Soup

Monday, November 22, 2010

***If you were directed here through Vegan MoFo, please click through to my site at http://www.lavidaveggie.com/. The new site and feed was available too late for the MoFo team to incorporate. The text during MoFo will be the same, but starting in December, I won't keep this site updated. Thanks, and happy MoFo-ing!***


Slow Cooker Lentil Soup

Since I first tasted lentils, I haven’t been able to stop eating them. What an amazing little bean! One of my favorite ways to have them isn’t exceptionally creative, but it is pretty good. A nice, thick soup.

There’s a packaged soup I found at the store that had the best garlicky taste. The stuff was like crack. It was a guaranteed lentil overdose – yes, there is such a thing. Anyway, even though I was thrilled about the taste, I was a little leery of the seasoning, which was a packet simply labeled “mixed herbs”. Hm. After some trial and error, I do believe I’ve matched the taste using all fresh ingredients. No mystery packets here!

Slow Cooker Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb dry lentils
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 carrots, finely chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
  • ½ medium onion, finely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, pressed
  • 7 cups vegetable broth
Directions:
  • Rinse and drain lentils. Remove any funky pieces.
  • Put all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir a few times just to mix it up.
  • Set slow cooker to high and cook for 4 hours.
  • Serve with a salad and some crusty bread. Yum!

1 comments:

Aubrey West @ Healthy Easy Recipes said...

This is indeed a healthy easy recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us. I am a great fan of your blog.

Post a Comment

All-Around Joy Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon BloggerTemplate Sponsored by: Premium Templates | Premium Wordpress Themes. Distributed by: Blogger Template