Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup

Slow cookers are such a great tool, especially for those who don’t have as much time to cook as they would like! If you don’t have one already, score yourself one during the holidays when they go on super sale. Then you can experience just how great it is to have a meal cooking for you all day long with so little effort. It’s so awesome to come in from a long day and have something that smells good and is ready to go. Mmm mmm mmm.

I found a gem of a slow cooker black bean soup recipe last month and I’ve already made it several times. This is not just soup for me, though. The great thing about this recipe is that it’s perfect for soup the first day and then turns into a side dish, salad topping, taco filling, bean dip or burger building material the following days. You could easily make a huge batch of this and freeze some for future use, too.

Here’s the scoop.

Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
Adapted from AllRecipes

Ingredients:
1 pound dry black beans, soaked overnight
4 tsp diced jalapeno peppers
6 cups vegetable broth
1 tbs soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce

    Directions:
    Drain black beans and rinse. Combine beans and broth in a pot and bring to a boil on the stove. Combine beans broth, jalapenos, and soy sauce in a slow cooker. Season with garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Cook on high for 4 hours. Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking for 2 hours, or until you are ready to eat. Enjoy!

      6 comments:

      Jeni Treehugger said...

      HEY! So glad to see your comment thingy is working! I LOVE your blog - the colours are amazing.
      Happy MoFo'ing.
      :)

      GAH! Almost forget to say how awesome those beans look - slow cookers are great aren't they, I've got one on my wish list.

      affectioknit said...

      YUM!

      Sarah said...

      Jeni,
      Yes, I had comment issues and didn't know until someone sent a private message to me. So I am super excited my computer geek hubby was able to hack the template and get it straight. :) I hope Santa brings your slow cooker - they're awesome.

      Affectioknit,
      The beans ARE yummy! Also, I saw on your profile that you crochet. I like crochet but am far from any good at it. I'm hoping to finish a two-year project by the end of this year. It's just a little granny-square baby blanket but it's taking me for.ev.er. Probably something to do with the fact that I'm interested in too many things and focused on none :P

      Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

      That soup looks really good!

      Liz Bridges said...

      Yay!!! It's working!

      Aubrey West @ Healthy Easy Recipes said...

      Thanks for the great recipe. I can imagine having that great soup soon. I must try this one.

      Post a Comment

      All-Around Joy Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon BloggerTemplate Sponsored by: Premium Templates | Premium Wordpress Themes. Distributed by: Blogger Template