Mom's Veggie Chili

Friday, November 12, 2010

***If you were directed here through Vegan MoFo, please click through to my site at www.LaVidaVeggie.com. The new site and feed was available too late for the MoFo team to incorporate. The text during MoFo will be the same, but starting in December, I won't keep this site updated. Thanks, and happy MoFo-ing!***

Veggie Chili

This is the best veggie chili ever because it's the one my Mom makes. She found the recipe years ago and it was an instant hit with our family! Since then, I've made a few minor tweaks, but nothing that impacts the way the chili turns out.

I have several things I love about this chili. First, it reminds me of home, and I love anything that reminds me of home. Second, it's really a "clean-out-the-fridge" kind of meal. I've added everything from summer squash to random left over beans, to over ripe tomatoes. The final thing I love about this chili is that it freezes so well. A lot of times I make a double batch just to load up the freezer with portions to pull out on a busy day.

Without further ado...

Mom's Veggie Chili

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium zucchini, chopped
  • 1 medium pepper (green, yellow, whatever), chopped
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped or shredded carrot
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 15 oz diced tomatoes
  • 15 oz zesty diced tomatoes
  • 1 tsp vegetable bouillon
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 15 oz garbanzo beans
  • 30 oz chili beans

Directions:
  • Saute zucchini, pepper, onion, carrots, celery and garlic in oil until tender.
  • Stir in tomatoes, bouillon, soy sauce and cumin; bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Add beans and heat through.

Veggie Chili

Veggie Chili

Veggie Chili

Veggie Chili

1 comments:

Aubrey West @ Healthy Easy Recipes said...

This looks very healthy! Even though I don't eat much vegetable, I want to try this soon.

Post a Comment

All-Around Joy Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon BloggerTemplate Sponsored by: Premium Templates | Premium Wordpress Themes. Distributed by: Blogger Template