Biscuits and Jam

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Biscuits and Jam

Hello, Sunday morning. Why don’t we ring you in with some biscuits and jam? Not any ordinary tube biscuits and off-the-shelf jam, but some quality, made from scratch kind of cookin’.

To pull together this meal, I had to do a bit of pre-planning. I knew for some time that I wanted to make vanilla peach jam shared by Seasons & Suppers, it was just a matter of getting peaches on hand and setting aside a few minutes for the project. Last week while at a local Saturday farmer’s market, I mentioned to the owner that I was hoping to make that as my next batch of jam. She’d tried my recent attempt at mango lime jam and really liked it, so she offered to sell me all the ugly peaches she had on hand at a big discount…provided I brought her some jam the following week. Deal! Cheap organic peaches and something to hold me to following through on the jam. In fact, the peaches were very ripe, so I had to make the jam that same night if it was going to happen at all.

The recipe was easy to follow. I liked it because it was made without commercial pectin – it was just the natural pectin from lemon seeds! Cool! It calls for using cheesecloth, which if don’t have on hand can be purchased at your local fabric store. Also, I asked the blog author about omitting the butter. She said that the butter could certainly be left out (which makes the recipe vegan) and that its purpose is just to help minimize foaming. Any foam that does appear can be scooped up. I actually didn’t notice any foam on my batch. I saved some of the jam for Sunday morning and the rest went into small containers for freezing. One of those containers goes back to the farmer’s to hold up my end of the bargain.

I also had my eye on a biscuit recipe. I wanted something quick so I could make it with little effort in the morning. There’s nothing like a fresh from the oven biscuit! I found a great biscuit recipe at Happy Herbivore. It’s actually part of the author’s biscuits and gravy recipe, but it was easy enough to figure out what I needed for just the biscuits. I was pleased with how easy the recipe was to make and to salvage, seeing as I nearly screwed it up in my half-away state.

The end result? Great big biscuits and fresh vanilla peach jam. I have had biscuits and jam for most of my life and although these were not identical to what I grew up with, I certainly had no complaints! As a matter of fact, I am already thinking about how these might taste with some savory spices rolled in…it would probably make a pretty good dinner biscuit!

1 comments:

Aubrey West @ Healthy Easy Recipes said...

I really love eating biscuits specially at breakfast and for snacks.

Post a Comment

All-Around Joy Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon BloggerTemplate Sponsored by: Premium Templates | Premium Wordpress Themes. Distributed by: Blogger Template