Girl Meets Daiya...and Gardein!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010





Today was my first encounter with Daiya cheese. I had read about lots of people using it, fared well with a different style of cheese alternative, and decided to give it a go. Not too shabby, although I have to admit that it will take a bit of getting used to. On first impression, I thought that it was a bit salty. On a positive note, it melted very well.

Tonight was a first for using Gardein, too. I had tried it at a local restaurant, so I knew what to expect but it was still a first time cooking with it. I basically used it just like I used to use chicken. I have to note that the pre-cooked Gardein was a little weird to handle. It was reminiscent of small chicken cutlets and it kind of put me off. It cooked up well, though, and I know it's just veggie protein so I am going to have to get used to the way it looks/smells/feels when it's just out of the package.

So what did I whip up with these two wonder-products? A vegan version of Mexican food I grew up with. Tonight we had quesadillas on made with Daiya and roasted peppers, onion, zucchini, tomato and Gardein. For sides I had smashed pinto beans and fideo with a smidge of avacado thrown in for fun. Overall, I thought the meal came out well. My husband really thought so - he had two plates full before I even made a dent in mine! This surprised me because he was born and raised in Wisconsin. I thought he would be extra critical of the Daiya but he thought that it had great flavor. I was floored.

So, that leaves me with Daiya and Gardein on my "continue to use" list. I am sure that I can find some tips for preparation somewhere online, and that with practice both these products can come in very handy.

1 comments:

Aubrey West @ Healthy Lunch Ideas said...

Wow! I haven't heard about Daiya cheese before. It looks great, I hope you can post your recipe because it really looks delicious.

Post a Comment

All-Around Joy Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon BloggerTemplate Sponsored by: Premium Templates | Premium Wordpress Themes. Distributed by: Blogger Template